West Herts Beekeepers’ Association was formed in 1941 with direct affiliation to the British Beekeepers’ Association (BBKA). We were founded during the Second World War to receive Government assistance for the production of honey and the pollination of war time food crops in the Croxley Area.
Beekeeping was started in the grounds of the grade II listed Croxley House used as a meeting place from 1946 for which the association paid and continues to pay a peppercorn rent. The original house was built in 1770. During the second World War Croxley House was a rehabilitation hospital for wounded RAF and USAF airmen. After WW2 the house became a residential care home run by the WRVS.
The Association was affiliated to the County Association in 1974 on the request of members who wished to exhibit honey with a wider group of beekeepers.
Between 1992 and 2005 the Association became independent again under the chairmanship of Dr. Harry R C Riches, past president of both the BBKA and the Worshipful Company of Wax Chandlers.
Today, our members come from many walks of life, but we are all have an interest in bees, bee welfare, honey, and pollination.
We are a Division of Hertfordshire Beekeepers’ Association and an affiliate of the British Beekeepers’ Association (BBKA). These two organisations provide bee diseases insurance and third party liability insurance as well as the very important link to the Bee Inspectors of the National Bee Unit (NBU).